[clug] Your Best arguments please

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 12 11:01:21 EST 2003

At 11:32 PM +1000 03/8/11, Damien Elmes wrote:
>Kim Holburn <kim.holburn at anu.edu.au> writes:
>
>> It doesn't have to be Open Source Software but almost any push in
>> that direction is going to benefit end-users. Simple requirements
>> like using open standards is enough to be beneficial. I don't think
>> you have to invent stuff here. You don't need 3 viewers. There are
>> lots of open standards around. It's not a big deal.
>
>But the issue here is making legislation which will be effective, and
>does not allow companies to side-step the rules and continue doing
>what they're doing. Requiring 3 separate tools to do the same thing is
>overkill, but by simple]y saying things must be "open", it leaves a lot
>of scope for companies to win contracts while still keeping things
>closed - out of date documentation, techniques designed to lock out
>unauthorised clients, etc.

Examples?

>Cheers,
>--
>Damien Elmes

Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)