[clug] Your Best arguments please

Damien Elmes clug at repose.cx
Mon Aug 11 23:32:10 EST 2003

Kim Holburn <kim.holburn at anu.edu.au> writes:

> It doesn't have to be Open Source Software but almost any push in
> that direction is going to benefit end-users. Simple requirements
> like using open standards is enough to be beneficial. I don't think
> you have to invent stuff here. You don't need 3 viewers. There are
> lots of open standards around. It's not a big deal.

But the issue here is making legislation which will be effective, and
does not allow companies to side-step the rules and continue doing
what they're doing. Requiring 3 separate tools to do the same thing is
overkill, but by simple]y saying things must be "open", it leaves a lot
of scope for companies to win contracts while still keeping things
closed - out of date documentation, techniques designed to lock out
unauthorised clients, etc.

Cheers,
--
Damien Elmes