[clug] kernel options

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Aug 6 11:47:12 EST 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:28:04AM +0800, Daniel wrote:
> Thanks very much Matt,
> (good reply - hope my trim ok)
> filesystem is reiserfs, Kernel 2.6test2, P4 2.4 512ram  (as of last
> week's attempt to solve the issue (I did have some help))
>
> /Inbox/subfolders# cp -av Dan01/* Dan02/
> -su: /bin/cp: Argument list too long
>
> du -sh Dan01
> 204M    Dan01
>
> time ls -alh
> real    0m2.272s

When you run into problems with lots of files and the normal command-line
stuff fails, it's time to start to learn about find and xargs. Find can
produce lists of files matching criteria (eg dates) and xargs will break
the list into chunks that other programs can havdle.

Hope this helps,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/