[clug] kernel options

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Aug 6 00:03:53 EST 2003

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 09:49:07PM +0800, Daniel wrote:
> Thanks Andrew and Martijn - this is heading me in the right direction
> for a diagnosis of why I can't copy a really huge maildir directory.
> /proc/sys/fs# cat file-max
> 52352
> http://pierre.mit.edu/compfac/linux/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/chap6sec72.html
> I read above and wonder what happens if I set the number too high - does
> it just slow down the system or something worse?

Nah, it's just a counter. AFAIK. If you actually opened that many files you
might start suffering memory pressure.

If your maildir is big, check your free inodes (df -i). If you run out of
those you experience problems similar to disk full.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/