[clug] Problems with /var/run

Pearl Louis pearl.louis at anu.edu.au
Sat Aug 2 00:59:08 EST 2003

Hi!

I'm having some very worrying problems.  I'm running Mandrake 9.1.
Recently everytime I boot my computer I get messages like this:

cannot remove /var/run/netreport: permission denied
cannot remove /var/run/runlevel.dir: permission denied

Then a little later:

/etc/rc.d/rc line 94: /var/run/runlevel.dir:  permission denied

Sometimes the computer refuses to boot after this or have a lot of
trouble starting X.  And sometimes it will boot and start X (how I am
writing this now) though it remains unstable with X locking up every now
and then (though my computer seems to have been getting increasingly
unstable over the last few weeks anyway...)

I checked /etc/rc.d/rc line 94 and it is fine.  Exactly what you'd
expect.  However, the most worrying thing is I can't use ls to list
/var/run/netreport or /var/run/runlevel.dir.  Even as root what I get
when I try ls (or ls -la) in /var/run is:

ls: netreport: Permission denied
ls: runlevel.dir: Permission denied

(the other files in the directory are listed though.  Also I get the
same result whether I use su or actually log in as root).

I guess this is the source of the problem.  I have no idea what's going
on?  Anyone know how something like this could happen and how I can fix
it? I'm somewhat at a lost here...

Thanks!
Pearl