[clug] Anyone having trouble with fonts on debian unstable?

Andreas Bauer baueran at in.tum.de
Fri Apr 25 22:45:48 EST 2003

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 06:20:29AM +1000, Jepri wrote:
> >I upgraded thursday night and suddenly X started crashing whenever I
> >ran a program.  The FLWM background menu didn't display any
> >characters (just spaces where they should be), but did display
> >numbers.
> >
> >I installed all the font servers and fonts I could find, and then
> >kde, which started working.  Bizarre.  I can't even figure out where
> >to begin - there's no error messages in the logs.
> >

> I should probably expand on that - when I use kde as my session
> manager, _all_ applications run fine.  If I don't use kde, (and use
> flwm instead), none of them do.

What does locale tell you?  Try defining something very simple in
.xsession or .xinitrc, e.g. en_GB should do.

I had a similar problem with fvwm not too long ago and all I had to do
was change my environment settings in /etc/environment in order to be
able to use this window manager again.

Maybe this helps... ?!

Cheers,
Andi.

--
(o_  Andreas Bauer, baueran at in.tum.de, http://www4.in.tum.de/~baueran/
//\  West of House. You are standing in an open field west of a white