[clug] network quotas

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 17 07:09:00 EST 2003

At 8:15 PM +1000 2003/04/16, Michael Still wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> At 6:59 PM +1000 2003/04/16, Michael Still wrote:
>> >How about an iptables plugin which checks it's little list, and then can
>> >reject over quota packets?
>>
>> If you're talking about the quota patch.  I don't think it can do what
>> I want.  It sets an absolute quota (a per router reboot quota), not a
>> per day quota.  maybe the limit match might be better.
>
>I hadn't realised there were modules to do this. I was more suggesting
>that you could write one...

Before I take that step, I want to find whether anyone else already has!

> > ...  Some of this
>> is possible, some I can't see how to do and I'm not sure it would not
>> run like a dog after all that.  There must be an easier way.
>
>The module could talk to a userspace daemon that managed persisting the
>quota information.

I use net-acct already.  net-acct doesn't use iptables at all but it's very processor intensive to analyse the logs.

>How fast are the network links into and out of the
>machine?

Allegedly gigabit, but what does that mean?  It uses gigabit wire protocol?  It is faster than 100Mb?  Somewhere between 100Mb and 1Gb?  I don't believe the NICs can reach anywhere near 1Gb, still trying to work out the real speed.

Kim
Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)