[clug] Changing ADSL providers HOWTO?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Apr 10 09:18:18 EST 2003

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 07:57 , Michael Still wrote:

> My understanding is it is something along the lines of:
>
>  - find new provider
>  - sign up with new provider
>  - ring Telstra and tell them where to put their ADSL (do I need a job
>    number from Telstra)
>  - wait

Yes, you need a job number from Telstra.  This is used by your new ISP
so that they can enable the ADSL account as soon as Telstra has given
them access to the connection.

My "hint of the day" is that you should consider one of the ADSL plans
that has "dial-up backup" - meaning you don't lose Internet access for
the two to four weeks that it takes Telstra to switch the ADSL line over
to the new provider.

As for finding a new provider, I would recommend word of mouth -
Broadband Choice seemed to be about 12 months out of date last time I
checked.

One question I'd love to have answered is whether or not you need to
have your landline through Telstra, or does it not matter, as long as it
goes through an ADSL enabled exchange at some point in time?

Alex