[clug] Fujitsu Lifebook laptops

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Tue Apr 8 20:52:08 EST 2003

Tomasz Ciolek (tmc at dreamcraft.com.au) wrote:
> Has anyone on this list played with the current incanrnation of the
> transmeta based Fujitsu lifebook machines?
>
> Im contemplating one as a replacement for current hardware and would
> like to know what people's experiences are...

Hi Tom,

I went about 50/50 in a few games of windows solitaire on one.  I
thought they worked pretty well, though the screen dimensions was a tiny
bit...  strange.  Not in a bad way, just in an offputting/distracting
way.

You can definately see the Crusoe's instruction caching at work... when
you win the game and the cards fall down, it starts very slowly, then
exponentially speeds up to the rapid *blat* most people are familiar
with in current desktop systems.  It's actually a very cool effect ;)

Unfortunately I didn't have the time to play with it some more, though
one thing that does spring to mind is that applications, particularly
those you haven't run for a time, start slowly.  Not slow enough to be
annoying, just that I was used to palm pilots / pocketpc devices at the
time hence it was noticeable.

I still thought it was a pretty nifty device though, wouldn't mind one
myself.

Cheers,

--
Matt