[clug] re: dead hardware

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Fri Apr 4 10:27:04 EST 2003

Mark Paine wrote:

> system will still not boot.  It had a good vacuum last year removing a lot
> of dust (and lowering the CPU and SYS temperatures a good 5 degrees C).

Q: What's the difference between a belt driven vacuum cleaner
   and a Van der Graaf generator?

A: Not much.

I had a server that I ended up ditching because despite swapping
out memory and other parts, it was no longer reliable after it was
zapped during a lightning storm. Replacing the RAM helped a lot, but
it still only got a few weeks uptime.

It was also annoying in that all the cable sockets had been plugged
and un-plugged so many tmes that you only needed wave you hand near
the case to loosen connections.

It could be any number of things. For example, I have replaced many
cheap and nasty ATX power supplies this year.

My current server is a nicely put together HP and I don't tinker with it.

Cheers,

Antti