[clug] Linux Server does not want to do a POST

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Apr 4 10:15:18 EST 2003

On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 09:57 , James McNeill wrote:

> In my experiance, the single greatest cause of 'it just sits there'
> syndrome
> is the RAM. Pull it out, give the pins a good clean, give the slots a
> good
> clean, and put it back in /really/ firmly.

> AGP cards also happen to come loose from time to time, with this result.

Step 1 of my usual maintenance routine is performing the same process
for everything that plugs in to the motherboard.  Pull everything out,
vacuum (at a static-dissipating workstation, and preferably use a metal
wand), run a pencil eraser over all the edge connectors, then put it all
back together, making sure it's all seated correctly.

Sometimes you can get enough 12V power to spin up HDDs and friends, but
not enough 5V power to make the system boot up.  Removing peripherals
won't make a difference (not much anyway), since the major consumer of
5V power is the processor.  If you have a machine with a compatible
power supply, try swapping in the other power supply.