Maintaining a redhat system

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Apr 2 17:34:33 EST 2003

Due to some proprietry software I need to maintain a redhat chroot (in a
debian system) to compile certain modules. However, I need to install some
dev libraries to compile new stuff and they need newer versions of certain
c++ libraries, etc...

So, how can I (like in Debian) simply have the system install the packages
while taking care that the rest doesn't break. I tried looking through
rpmfind.net but got lost in the version numbers and the fact that some of
the dependancies can only be satisfied in PPC (??!!?!) or Suse or Mandrake.
Aaargh!!

(Maybe someday someone can explain to me how the same set of headers, source
and libraries can result in: Debian 2.95.4 => segfault, Redhat 2.96 =>
works).

Any helpful hints?
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/