Determining availability of a remote machine

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Wed Apr 2 09:39:14 EST 2003

At 7:50 AM +1000 03/4/2, Michael Still wrote:
>Hey,
>
>I need to be able to determine if a remote machine is available without
>living through a long timeout. For network configuration reasons I can't
>use ICMP.
>
>Anyone have a brilliant idea as to how to determine if a machine is alive
>in code without using ICMP? I thought of just connecting to a port, but I
>can't gaurantee that certain ports are open on the remote side, and
>firewalls might get in my way.

paratrace or lft

>Thanks,
>Mikal
>
>--
>
>Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | Stage 1: Steal underpants
>http://www.stillhq.com            | Stage 2: ????
>UTC + 10                          | Stage 3: Profit

Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)