Remote mount of a cdrom

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Wed Sep 25 22:00:30 EST 2002

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 2:44 pm, Burn Alting wrote:
> Hi Peoples,
>
> I have two Redhat 7.2's. One has a CDRW and the other just a plain CD.
> I want to mount the 'plain' CD on the other system.
>
> I've edited the 'plain' CD systems /etc/exports file with
> 	/	host_cdrw(rw,no_root_squash)
> and reexported all filesystems. Then, on host_cdrw, I run
>
> 	mount \
> 	-o ro host_cd:/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>
> This fails with 'Permission denied' and on the plain CD system the log
> shows Sep 25 14:37:32 host_cdrw rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request
> from 192.168.1.100:862 for /mnt/cdrom (/)
> Sep 25 14:37:32 host_cdrw rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted
>
> Reading between the lines, the get file handle code says you can do this.
>
> Can any one suggest what I need to do?

I'm not quite sure why you are getting the 'permission denied', but what you
currently have won't work anyway.  You need to have the 'nohide' option in
your exports file, or you will not be able to see the CD-Rom anyway.  See man
exports.

Try instead:
/etc/exports
/mnt/cdrom    host_cdrw(ro,nohide)

And then
# mount -t nfs host_cd:/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=7238195&list=789 suggests that
updating to the latest nfs packages might be in order to fix the 'permission
denied' error.

Rasjid.