OpenLDAP question

Paul Bryan pa_bryan at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 24 09:49:14 EST 2002

On Tuesday 24 September 2002 05:01, Michael Faber wrote:
> I've installed OpenLDAP (using Berkeley's DB), and selected the
> three schemas (core, cosine, and NIS) that are supposed to turn
> on the user authentication...
>
> So, then what?  Start slapd, put LDAP in my nsswitch.conf, and
> off we go?  Did I miss something?

You certainly did.

There are usually some migrate scripts to set up the structure and import
users / groups from the passwd/group files. These are usually packaged
separately. If you want to start fresh without importing user accounts, there
are still some scripts to run to set up you base structure eg. adds ou=People
for user accounts etc.

There's a good document on this at the mandrake site. It's fairly
non-distribution specific though.

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/ldap-auth.php

Cheers,
Paul.