Boot ROMs

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Mon Sep 23 18:40:38 EST 2002

Geoff Smith wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I need to put boot roms into a whole bunch of network cards (I'm setting
> up a lab full of LTSP terminals). Where can I source a bootrom burner &
> roms from, and what's a ballpark figure?
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Geoff

I programmed and installed 98 boot EPROMs into the tulip cards of the
bunyip cluster computer (http://tux.anu.edu.au/projects/Bunyip).

We also use netboot/etherboot on all our lab machines (over 70), but
they are all Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 cards with onboard flash roms.

We used a small parallel port programmer from JED Microelectronics in
Melbourne for our EPROM burning exercise - took over a day to complete
(approx 5 minutes each x 98) - then we had to erase and reprogram half
of them about a year and a half ago when we upgraded half of the mobos
in the cluster.