Linux on a laptop - me too

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sat Sep 21 11:50:40 EST 2002

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 11:10 am, Neil Pickford wrote:
> I am trying to set up X under 2.2.19 on a Toshiba 460CDT
> Linux command line console is ok but I cannot get X 4.1.0 to start.
> Keeps bombing with a fatal server error.
> Caught Signal 11. Server Aborting

What does the logfile say? (/var/log/XFree86.0.log)

> I have tried various suggestions for XF86config but have not found
> even a base configuration that works.  KDE does not work either but
> I suspect that is because X11 server is not working.

There is no suspect to that.  KDE needs a running XServer!  It's going to have
a hard time displaying anything without one.

> Has anyone else succeeded with getting X running on this type of
> Toshiba?
> It uses a Chips & Tech 65554 video LCD driver with 2 MB of video
> memory.  One reference said that Version 4 of X did not work on
> Toshiba Laptops - Do I have to try a version 3 build?  I am thinking
> of regressing to 2.2.13 to see if that works.

According the the xfree website, that chipset is supported by both 3.3.6 and
4.2.1.  See http://www.xfree86.org/current/Status8.html#8

I have no idea if it is supported by 4.1.0, it may not be.

I think it is far more likely to be your Xconfig file or the Xserver version
that needs changing than the Linux kernel.

Rasjid.