Linux on a laptop - me too

Neil Pickford neilp at goldweb.com.au
Sat Sep 21 11:10:56 EST 2002

I am trying to set up X under 2.2.19 on a Toshiba 460CDT
Linux command line console is ok but I cannot get X 4.1.0 to start.
Keeps bombing with a fatal server error.
Caught Signal 11. Server Aborting

I have tried various suggestions for XF86config but have not found
even a base configuration that works.  KDE does not work either but
I suspect that is because X11 server is not working.
Has anyone else succeeded with getting X running on this type of
Toshiba?
It uses a Chips & Tech 65554 video LCD driver with 2 MB of video
memory.  One reference said that Version 4 of X did not work on
Toshiba Laptops - Do I have to try a version 3 build?  I am thinking
of regressing to 2.2.13 to see if that works.

Neil Pickford