ssh agent forwarding

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Sep 20 00:09:49 EST 2002

On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 10:29 , Brett Worth wrote:

> Was it a security hole?

When used incorrectly, yes it was a security hole.  Remember that
SSH-agent forwarding relies on trusting the intermediate host.

> Has it just never been implemented in openssh?

It's been implemented for a while.  In the default installation, you'll
need to specify that you want agent forwarding turned on:

   ssh -A user at remotehost

Otherwise, make this dangerous modification to the ~/.ssh/config or
/etc/ssh_config files: Change the "ForwardAgent" option from "no" (the
default, and safest choice) to "yes".

   ForwardAgent yes

NB: THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA

Remember, since the agent forwarding is done using sockets or pipes on
the intermediate host, it's trivially easy for 'root' on that machine to
use your ssh-agent to authenticate themselves as you to anywhere that
trusts you.

To be safer, specify the hosts to which you wish to allow agent
forwarding:

Host *.trusteddomain
   ForwardAgent yes

I'm sure other people will followup to this message to slap me on the
wrists for giving such dangerous advice ;)

Alex