OT: Power Supplies

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Sep 19 16:16:24 EST 2002

On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 03:31 , Damien Elmes wrote:

> I often find myself needing to access files when I'm elsewhere, so I
> really
> value the ability to ssh back home. Some argue that the stress caused
> on the
> PC each time you turn it on is worse than just leaving them on 24/7,
> too.

I learned the hard way that once a hard drive has been spinning for a
long time, it may not start if you stop it.

I had a machine with 180 days uptime.  I had to move house.  So I
powered down the machine.  When I went to switch it on again, the drive
spindle wouldn't start.  Upon opening it, I found the spindle was welded
to the bearing.  I guess that's the difference between a consumer hard
drive and a server hard drive.

Alex