OT: Power Supplies

Mark Paine mark at paineless.id.au
Thu Sep 19 15:57:29 EST 2002

Quoting Damien Elmes <clug at repose.cx>:

> > Until I get a UPS for the server (not a high priority), they will be
> turned
> > off when I am not around or not using them.
>
> Why is that waiting on a UPS? My gateway just hit 200 days uptime - go
> ACTEW!
>
> I often find myself needing to access files when I'm elsewhere, so I
> really
> value the ability to ssh back home. Some argue that the stress caused on
> the
> PC each time you turn it on is worse than just leaving them on 24/7,
> too.

Damien,

Well, when one can only connect to the internet via a 28.8 modem connection (go
Telstra!!) there is no great advantage in having the PC running 24x7.

Re the stress thingo - yeah know about that. I also probably have to much of
the 'old school' in me.  Have been around computers for so long that I can
remember that the *order* that you turned components on was critical.  Get it
wrong (eg computer before monitor) and you could do serious damage.  Geeze I
even hesitated turning them on last night due to the winds!  Irrational I know.
On a weekend they tend to stay on all day, but they do sleep at night.  The fan
in the hub is somewhat noisy at the moment.  Soon to be replaced with a new
ethernet switch I hope (Sunday's Computer Fair here I come!!) so I might
actually leave them on overnight on a weekend once I get that.  I'll have to
see how noisy my new PC will be as well.

Mark P.
--
.sig - TBA
CBR AU