OT: Power Supplies

Mark Paine mark at paineless.id.au
Thu Sep 19 15:17:12 EST 2002

Quoting Stuart Watson <stuart at apex.net.au>:

> From memory the few power supply's I have opened over the past few
> years the monitor socket is just direct wire(s) in parallel from the
> 240v supply socket below. So I don't think that should effect the
> overall output of a power supply.
>
> However its been awhile since i've poked my screw driver around in
> there..

Stu,

I hoped the power supply was off and all capacitors empty when that screwdriver
does go in!! ;-)

Thanks for everyones response on this.  Thinking about it, I'm not sure if the
outbound socket is actually switched or not - find out soon enough.  Does not
really matter anyway in my situation.  If the PC is on then the monitor needs
to be on - and yes I do turn my home PCs off.  Until I get a UPS for the server
(not a high priority), they will be turned off when I am not around or not
using them.  Mind you, the significant other complains when I come home from
work and turn the computers on and don't actually sit in front of them for
another couple of hours!!  (SETI at Home is running on them though so useful work
is being done.)  At the moment, I don't think I am anywhere near the 2400W
limit on this circuit, even with all the stuff plugged in.  Should actually
calculate what I am potentially drawing though....

Mark P.
--
.sig - TBA
CBR AU