Xnest and pc104 kb

Doug.Palmer at csiro.au Doug.Palmer at csiro.au
Mon Sep 16 09:42:37 EST 2002

> Wah! Xnest provides -xkbmap and xkbdb options, but I've failed in
> finding what I should feed it. Anyone have an idea?

Your server is probably getting its configuration from
/etc/X11/Xf86Config-4. Who knows where Xnest is getting things from.

Have a look in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86 (possibly varied
somewhat depending on distribution). This file is what maps the keymap
statement onto the sets of symbols/keyboard layouts/etc that XKB uses. My
file has an entry something like

default xkb_keymap "us" {
    xkb_keycodes    { include "xfree86"     };
    xkb_types       { include "default"     };
    xkb_compatibility   { include "default"     };
    xkb_symbols     { include "us(pc105)"       };
    xkb_geometry    { include "pc"          };
};

Which means use the default keycodes (scan code mapping) found in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/keycodes/xfree86, the level shifts found in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/types/default, the modifier keys found in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compat/xfree86, the standard PC keyboard geometry and
the boring US symbol set, configured for a 105 key keyboard found in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/us.

Things you might want to change:

The something other than the default xkb_keymap as default. Or you might
want to specify the keymap as something like "xfree86(en_US)"
The "symbols" modifier to en_US(pc104).

Don't worry about the keycodes entry, which should include all the scan
codes a PC keyboard is likely to produce.

You might also want to take a look through
http://www.charvolant.org/~doug/xkb/ which is a bit of a guide to what all
the XKB settings mean.