Rack mount cases

Drake Diedrich dld at coyote.com.au
Wed Sep 11 08:29:50 EST 2002

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 02:41:37PM +1000, Brad Hards wrote:

> Only problem is that that I'm starting to have space and noise problems with
> my current setup, and another low end machine to act as a router isn't going
> to help much.

   The many little 1.5" fans in a 1U case (Cougar's for instance) are
noisier than 1-2 large 4-6" fans.  Fine for a rack in a server room, but I
wouldn't want it in the house.

   There was a suggestion on the beowulf mailing list: very large copper
heat sinks, and rely on the case fans for airflow (this was for 2U dual
Athlon).  That didn't occur to us - we went with extra fans instead.

   Water cooling anyone?