Rack mount cases

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Sep 10 15:43:08 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 14:41, Brad Hards wrote:
>> Only problem is finding a source of racking, and rack-mount cases. Cougar has
> some rack-mount cases on their website, but they aren't cheap, and before I
> burn $4-500 bucks on a case, I'd appreciate some recommendations.

If you have the money, buy a decent rack, like the ones from Page Data
in Fyshwick (the reason I keep mentioning them is because I personally
recommend them, not because I'm involved in their business or family
somehow).

A 6-foot rack will set you back about $1600 including doors.  You will
also want to find a pedestal to stand the rack on - unless you happen to
have false floors at home.  The pedestal raises the rack by about 10cm,
and has gaps for cables to get into the rack.

Then buy a bunch of shelves to suit your rack, and stack your PCs on
these shelves 2 or 3 to a shelf.

Get vertical power rails up each side of your rack - these will set you
back about $250 each, but will save you the clutter of umpteen
powerboards taped around the rails.

One option I've pursued at my place is to stick the machines in the
cupboard under the stairs (I should call it Harry*), and in the tops of
built-in wardrobes.

Don't bother with rack-mount cases unless you're doing a professional
installation that has to be seen by customers.

Regards
Alex
*At one stage, the most common name for the "big server box" in IP
networks was "Merlin", a tradition which I unintentionally followed.
One competition I saw was for "the most unique naming scheme" for boxen
on a network.  One contestant named all his machines after famous female
actors, so he could truthfully say, "Dammit! Madonna's gone down on me
again!"