CVS over SSH freezes

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Sep 10 15:32:21 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 14:34, Matthew Hawkins wrote:
> I think ssh has some problems.

One might try turning compression off at both ends, and perhaps using
the "-c" option to change the cipher being used:

  ssh ... -c blowfish ...

If you do find that changing the cipher makes a difference, or just
switching off compression makes a difference, submit a bug report
detailing what you did (and let this list know too!)

A long, long time ago, in a galaxy not far from this one, I was
experimenting with encryption and compression.  At the time, I was
writing a "block" cipher (required n^2 chunks, where n was the size of
my square, invertible matrix).  I got lazy and just used "00" for all
the stuff that wasn't original message (padding to fill up the block),
and at the other end I just ignored all the "00" in the outward stream.
It's possible that the compression or encryption in open-ssh suffers
from similar laziness somewhere.

But as Matt said, make sure both ends are using the same/most recent
version - then try my way.

Alex