is linux the answer?

Sam Couter sam at topic.com.au
Tue Sep 10 10:03:03 EST 2002

Bob Edwards <Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> It is relatively easy to do with RedHat. I have tried it with Debian, but
> haven't yet sorted out how to configure the dpkg stuff to behave, despite
> the supposed adherence to the File System Standard.

With RPM it's quite easy to do using "--excludepath=/usr" on the clients
and "--root=/exported/root" on the server.

Unfortunately, dpkg only supports --root, and has no equivalent to
--excludepath or --excludedocs. I believe it's being worked on, but that
doesn't help people who need it right now.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at topic.com.au
Internet Engineer   |  jabber:sam at jabber.topic.com.au
tSA Consulting      |  http://www.topic.com.au/