Get an Ethernet Card (was Re: Has anyone got DSL working with a USB modem?)

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sat Sep 7 10:28:56 EST 2002

On Saturday, September 7, 2002, at 09:37 , Matthew Hawkins wrote:

> Alex Satrapa (grail at goldweb.com.au) wrote:
>> the DFE-530TX (tulip chipset)
>
> Last I saw, these had the VIA Rhine chipset.

Oops.. my mistake.  I have DFE-500TX in one machine, and two DFE-530TX
in our ADSL router.  I keep getting confused about which card is
installed in which machine.

> In fact, if memory serves me correct, you can't even get DE530TX's
> anymore (from Page Data) - they have newer models still, I believe one
> has the VIA Rhine II (or III?) and the other has something else.

When I bought my last two cards from Page Data, they only sold the
DFE-530TX. /proc/pci tells me:

On "Tanya":
   Bus  0, device  10, function  0:
     Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43
(rev 65).

(using the de4x5 module)

On "Box":
   Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
     Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. Ethernet Controller (rev
67).
   Bus  0, device  12, function  0:
     Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. Ethernet Controller (#2)
(rev 67).

(both using the via-rhine module)

I just love how descriptive the entries for the VIA Technologies devices
are.  To my naive mind, it's almost like saying "I have two Ford cars in
the garage".