Get an Ethernet Card (was Re: Has anyone got DSL working with a USB modem?)

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Sep 6 16:41:40 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 12:27, Damien Elmes wrote:
> It's something like $5 for a second hand 10baseT network card. Consider the
> cost of your time required to get the USB version going, and weigh it up
> against the cost of throwing a network card in.

I second that opinion.

You'll reduce latency over the connection since any decent Ethernet card
will require far less load on the processor than the cleverest USB
Ethernet adaptor that I know of.  Most PCs ship with USB chipsets that
require the CPU to do all the work of processing USB packets and
shipping data around the place.

So get an Ethernet card - not just for your own sanity, but for the sake
of your DSL router's poor little overtaxed processor ;)

Going through all the hoop-la with extra modules sounds a lot like using
the wrong tool to solve the wrong problem*.

Alex
* Remember Scotty - "Use the right tool for the right job!"