Has anyone got DSL working with a USB modem?

Damien Elmes clug at repose.cx
Fri Sep 6 12:27:21 EST 2002

Doug ABERDEEN <douglas.aberdeen at anu.edu.au> writes:

> Hi Clug'ers,
>
> I'm getting my brother into Linux. He's a convert with one caveat.  He
> wants to set up linux for DSL access but he doesn't have an ethernet
> card.  He has a Telstra provided DSL modem that plugs into a
> ethernet-to-USB converter, then into his computer.

It's something like $5 for a second hand 10baseT network card. Consider the
cost of your time required to get the USB version going, and weigh it up
against the cost of throwing a network card in.

> I'm wondering if anyone out there has had success using a Telstra DLS/USB
> set-up? If so, how did you do it? Otherwise, who makes the DSL modems
> that Telstra supplies?

I'd be interested to know about people's success stories with USB based modems
- I just opted for the ethernet version.

Regards,

--
Damien Elmes