Mail archiving

Simon Fowler simon at himi.org
Thu Sep 5 15:31:30 EST 2002

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 02:25:05PM +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As everyone knows, mutt doesn't handle large mailboxes very well (at least
> not in mbox format). What I would like to do is to automatically move mail
> older than 3 months to another folder. While this is possible in mutt by
> typing the right commands, does anyone know a non-interactive way of doing
> it?

I haven't seen mutt having problems with large mbox files . . . What
I /have/ found almost unusable is mutt with large maildirs - beyond
~2000 messages and it loads /really/ slowly, and this is on a
reiserfs partition . . . By contrast, my ~6000 message lkml mbox
file loads comfortably and handles nicely.

As for the archiving thing, me too! Doing it by hand is terribly
tedious ;-)

Simon

--
PGP public key Id 0x144A991C, or ftp://bg77.anu.edu.au/pub/himi/himi.asc
(crappy) Homepage: http://bg77.anu.edu.au