HP Deskjet 640C malfunction

Phil and Marlene Carter mcarter at netspeed.com.au
Mon Sep 2 10:41:26 EST 2002

Hi all,

I have a HP Deskjet 640C, attached to my Linux box (RH 7.2) through the parallel port, that as ceased to function. It used to work. At best I can now print just 1 document if I clear the print queue, switch off the print daemon and the printer, then switch everything back on again. Mostly I can't print anything.

The problem is the same with a couple of different drivers: cdj550, hpdj and pcl3. I downloaded a new version of the hpijs driver, which seemed to install OK, but still no success.

(As an aside, the instructions for hpijs indicate that I need an upgraded version of Ghostscript. Following this up seems to indicate that upgrading Ghostscript is massive job, I need to print out the instructions. Surely I don't need Ghostscript to do simple lpr jobs...?)

Can someone suggest where I should look for a solution?

Thanks for your help,

Phil Carter
mcarter at netspeed.com.au