[long] Re: Legal traps in open source *WAY* OT.

Geoff Smith gsmith at geoffco.net
Thu Oct 31 22:53:53 EST 2002

> A simple solution to the deleted files problem is for rm to realise
> that there were two arguments, where any one argument would delete all
> the files in the directory.  I can't remember which OS is was I was
> using, but the rm command was smart this way - I think it was Darwin
> (Mac OS X again).
>
> ie:
>
> $ rm *     # Doesn't quibble
> $ rm *.c   # Doesn't quibble
> $ rm * .c  # Asks "Are you sure you want to delete all files in
> /home/grail?"

Yup, seems like a great idea to me *NOW*... about 4 hours after
accidentally blowing away the root of my home directory on my laptop
doing something really similar... And it happened for exactly the same
reasons.... Tired, under pressure, not checking I was in the directory I
thought I was. Bummer eh?

Horray for backups.

Geoff