[long] Re: Legal traps in open source *WAY* OT.

Nemo - earth native nemo at nut.house.cx
Thu Oct 31 19:32:35 EST 2002

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 05:59:05PM +1100, Alex Satrapa did utter:
> >The level of confirmation required should be tailored to the level of
> >consequences and the frequency of operation.
>
> Deleting email and files is one of the most common things I do.  Thus
> the delete operation itself should be reversible.  On Mac OS X, when
> using the graphical interface, this is true.  When using any of the
> other systems I commonly use, this is not true.

What do you consider "deleted"?

Using mutt, I quite happily and semi-blindly mark messages, threads, and
whole mailboxes as deleted - but the operation is quite easily
reversible - up to the point I sync changes back to the mailbox.
(usually only applied when exiting).

So are the messages deleted when I hit <d> to mark a message for deletion?
Or are they not really deleted till I hit <$> and sync the mailbox?

Do I need YET another step? (note that the mutt internal doco says
d           delete-message         delete the current entry

Not "tag message for future deletion" or any other such
half-way-solution measure. At this point, of course, it is undeletable.
:)

.../Nemo
--
  Why, do you think I ought to have /\/         <nemo at nut.house.cx>
 one? It seems odd to give a bundle \                    ...