[long] Re: Legal traps in open source

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Oct 31 17:51:36 EST 2002

James McNeill wrote:
> I think that the blame will always sit with the person exploiting the
> software, not the company that released the exploitable software.
>
> When you buy a car, it's up to you to take into account the car's
> security systems. If you purchase a car without locks of any sort,
> that's your porogative.

What about the Ford Pinto?

For those who don't know:
http://www.fordpinto.com/blowup.htm

Now... what if Ford hadn't realised that the Pinto was dangerous until
after the road fatalities figures proved it?

Now... is Microsoft Outlook a Ford Pinto of the software world?  or are
its flaws purely accidental?

Alex