undelete directory

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Oct 31 15:04:13 EST 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Paul Bryan wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:16, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:
> > Hmmm....
> >
> > Would it be sensible to change the behaviour of delete
> > to not unlink the file but move it into a cache?
>
> I think I remember Michael (or is it Mikal?) Still doing this.

My mother named me Michael, my email named me Mikal.

> Replaced his rm binary with a little script that reminded users about
> the dangers of deleting.

Yeah, I just moved rm to rm.old, and wrote a simple shell script to move
stuff to /usr/local/rm instead of actually using rm. Then, once in a
while, I would clean out /usr/local/rm

Why past tense? I rebuilt my box, and haven't got around to reinstalling
it. I guess that waits until sometmie I delete something I really want
which isn't backed up.

Also, the script isn't perfect. I doesn't emulate all the real rm command
line options, which results in things like ./configure scripts giving
wierd errors sometimes.

http://www.stillhq.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb/utilities/bin/

Cheers,
Mikal