[long] Re: Legal traps in open source *WAY* OT.

Howard Lowndes lannet at lannet.com.au
Thu Oct 31 14:44:29 EST 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Sam Couter wrote:

> If you ask rm to nuke everything in the current directory, you should
> expect it to nuke everything in the current directory. If you can't
> trust yourself to handle the rm command correctly, don't use it. There
> are plenty of experts you can pay to come and remove your files for you
> until you can gain the required expertise.

I've lost count of how many times I have been through this scenario; am I
being negligent by not considering that the user might be negligent?

Me: "I'm going to have to delete Windows and re-install.  Have you saved
off _everything_ you need?"

User: "Yes, it's here on CD"

/me does fdisk and re-install

Later:

User: "Where are my email addresses?  The address book's empty"

Me: "It'll be on your CD"

User: "...but I didn't copy it to the CD"

/me shrugs and departs.

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people