[long] Re: Legal traps in open source

Damien Elmes clug at repose.cx
Thu Oct 31 02:31:35 EST 2002

> I'm quite happy to release my software given rules along the lines
> of those above. I'd probably be happy to sell software, too. I don't
> expect to be sued unless I've made some serious mistake, and if I
> did, then I'd probably deserve to be sued.

What constitutes a "serious mistake" in computer software? How do you
demarcate what is "gross" negligence or not? Is the use of gets() in this era
of buffer overflows gross negligence?

Short of malicious software masquerading as something useful, I can't see any
logic to holding people accountable for defects in free software they write.
Not financially accountable, anyway. Public mocking works for me. ;-)

--
Damien Elmes