[long] Re: Legal traps in open source

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Oct 30 16:05:50 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 14:19, Michael Still wrote:
> I think you have the skill triangle upside down. Are you really trying to
> argue that Tridge / Rusty / Paulus / whoever is "less skilled" than people
> who write Makefiles, and perl scripts?

No.  Just arguing that Object Oriented design requires forethought.

The ability to think ahead and plan what you're doing is what really
separates C/C++ code monkeys from real programmers - but Sam has already
pointed out to me that it's possible to write crap in Java too.

The intent still remains however - "low-skilled/unskilled" workers are
the code monkeys - they just crank out code based on the designs they've
been given.

The skilled workers think about what the design's going to look like,
and employ their tools in the appropriate manner.

In a regulated world such as Civil Engineering, you have to have proven
your skill before you can handle the dangerous or complex tools.  Thus
you have to have an operators certificate to run an excavator (or build
a makefile), but any mug can drive a vibrating smooth drum compactor (or
write code to do something, even if poorly).

Alex