[long] Re: Legal traps in open source

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Wed Oct 30 14:55:49 EST 2002

Paul Bryan <pa_bryan at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I'd rather put my skilled workers onto handling dynamic memory stuff , low
> level coding etc. (C/C++) and let the monkeys rely on niceties like
> garbage[1] collection (Java) personally :-P

It's possible to leak memory or use incorrect referenes in Java too, you
know. In fact, I'm neck-deep in the worst Java code I've ever seen right
now, and it's worse than most C code I've seen.

Anyway, I think you're confusing technical skills with engineering and
architecting skills.

Software Engineers don't get taught how to code any more than a Civil
Engineer gets taught how to pour concrete or an architect is taught how
to use a hammer.

The ability to code doesn't automatically include the ability to design,
and vice-versa.

I'd rather have a Software Engineer design a system and manage the
project, and have code monkeys build it according to the Engineer's
instructions and specifications. A different group of code monkeys
should build test harnesses and try to break the first group's software.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org