[long] Re: Legal traps in open source

Steven Hanley sjh at wibble.net
Wed Oct 30 14:26:00 EST 2002

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 02:16:24PM +1100, Sam Couter wrote:
> Also, those of us who work on Free software would all of a sudden become
> liable for the code we write. Most Free software developers wouldn't be
> Free software developers anymore.

this is an interesting casee, I think the liability issue maybe should not
affect GPLd software (I suppose and other Open Source sort of licences) as
the impetus is on society and users to be sure the software they uise is
thus safe and reliable. If the software is completely open than the users
can take whatever issues they wish onboard when they choose to use it.

The problem is closed source crap such as windows comes with a EULA that
almost seems to allow them to sue you if you sneeze wrong in their
direction. There is no option for users to be sure if it is even remotely
reliable or anything. Thus the blame for faults should rest on the people
who keep the source locked up.

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh
You are subtle as a window pane standing in my view