Emacs link breaking?

Ian McCulloch ianmcc at lorentz.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Oct 29 13:34:31 EST 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Michael Still wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I have a large source tree. I would like to be able to have a second copy
> of that source tree where the second copy is composed of hard links. When
> I edit one of these links, I would like emacs 21 to break the link and
> create a new file (possibly by just renaming the link file to the backup
> name).
>
> I have seen this done, but I can't seem to find the config option in the
> emacs config tool. Google implies it is the default, which doesn't match
> my testing of what RedHat shipped me...
>
> Any hints?
>
> Thanks,
> Mikal

Unfortunately no hints but the default for emacs (at least the version I
have) is to write to a new file then rename (therefore breaking the hard
link).  In my case, that actually *wasn't* what I wanted to happen,  but I
never worked out how to change it.

Perhaps we should swap emacs binaries/configs? ;-)

Cheers,
Ian