Xine unable to see win32 directory?

Simon Fowler simon at himi.org
Mon Oct 28 03:17:57 EST 2002

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 12:14:15AM +1100, Pearl Louis wrote:
> Hi
>
> Usually divX files are mp3s, but they can use a hack of wma as well and some
> people use wma because it produces smaller end files (*coughcough* as some
> people do with anime DivX episodes which is the main problem here...).  Xine
> has no problems playing most DivX avi files except those using wma.  I've
> tried getting the full set of win32 codecs in the past and it still hasn't
> helped.  It simply cannot see the /usr/lib/win32 directory.  This is a
> problem I've had for ages and previous versions as well.  I can see the files
> in /usr/lib/win32 and xine keeps on steadfastedly ignoring them even when you
> tell it explicitly to look at that directory in the config file *grrrh*.
>
> I would like to use mplayer but from what I've read it is a real pain to
> compile and set up, though supposedly it is very very good once you've
> actaully got it working.  Unfortunately I'm rather busy with uni right now
> and I don't have time to work out how to compile mplayer though I would like
> to learn how to get it running some day when I actually have time to work out
> things like why on earth the new Nvidia drivers aren't rebuilding on my
> system...^_^

mplayer used to be a bit fiddly to get running, but it's improved a
lot - it's now just a straight ./configure; make; make install, for
the most part. Setting up the fonts and extra codecs is fairly well
documented, too. It shouldn't be very time consuming . . .

Of course, if you don't have /any/ time, that's not much help to you
;-)

Simon

--
PGP public key Id 0x144A991C, or http://himi.org/stuff/himi.asc