Xine unable to see win32 directory?

Pearl Louis pearl.louis at anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 28 00:14:15 EST 2002

Hi

Usually divX files are mp3s, but they can use a hack of wma as well and some
people use wma because it produces smaller end files (*coughcough* as some
people do with anime DivX episodes which is the main problem here...).  Xine
has no problems playing most DivX avi files except those using wma.  I've
tried getting the full set of win32 codecs in the past and it still hasn't
helped.  It simply cannot see the /usr/lib/win32 directory.  This is a
problem I've had for ages and previous versions as well.  I can see the files
in /usr/lib/win32 and xine keeps on steadfastedly ignoring them even when you
tell it explicitly to look at that directory in the config file *grrrh*.

I would like to use mplayer but from what I've read it is a real pain to
compile and set up, though supposedly it is very very good once you've
actaully got it working.  Unfortunately I'm rather busy with uni right now
and I don't have time to work out how to compile mplayer though I would like
to learn how to get it running some day when I actually have time to work out
things like why on earth the new Nvidia drivers aren't rebuilding on my
system...^_^

Thanks anyway
Pearl