Portable MP3 players?

Terence Kearns tkearns at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 23 14:12:26 EST 2002

Take a look at this sucker :-)
http://www.archos.com/

I haven't bought it yet so I can't vouch for it's Linux connectivity
although it shouldn't be a probablem since it is basically an external
20GB HDD.

it costs 400 euros (without the plugins). 417 with the compact flash
card reader plugin. Other plugins include:
composite/S-Video plugin adapter,
digital camara plugin (video/still(800x600)) - not released yet :-(

does hardware DIVX (mpeg4)
20-40 hours of video footage

While this is probably not in the price-range you were after, it's a
darn site better value for money than some of those Sony audio (only)
players which cost AU$999.

sorry about the HTML formatting :-(
I did a cut/paste from mozilla

Capacity: 20 GB Hard Disk
Internal Buffer: 16 MB
Interface and
transfer rate to computer: USB 1.1 (PC & Mac) - Optional Interfaces: USB
2.0 (PC), FireWire (PC or Mac) or PC Card (PC). Up to 1 MB (USB), 2 MB
(PC Card), 10 MB (FireWire), 12 MB (USB 2.0).
Format Supported: MP3 (30 to 320 Kbps CBR and VBR) reading, MP3 VBR
(from 30 to 160 kbps) real-time encoding.
Photo Carousel to display image files (JPEG and BMP), MPG4 video
compatible with DivX? (CIF format – 352x288 pixels, 25 frames/sec., MP3
sound track – VHS Quality).
Display: Color LCD 237x234 pixels.
Audio Specifications: Stereo Digital Line In/Out, or Stereo Analog Line
In - Stereo Analog Line Out or Earphone Jack or Composite Video Output
(to connect to a TV). Built-in microphone.
Playback autonomy: Up to 7 hours.
Scalability: Downloadable firmware updates from www.archos.com.
Power Source: Internal Power: 2 x Rechargeable Li-Ion Batteries.
External Power: AC-DC Charger / Adapter.
Dimensions: 113 x 79 x 30 mm (4.45” x 3.11” x 1.18”)
Weight: 290g (10.23 oz)
System Requirements: PC: Pentium 233 MHz or higher. Windows 98 SE, ME,
2000. 32 MB RAM (64 MB recommended). CD-ROM Disk with digital audio
extraction support. Mac: OS 8.6 or 9.x. iMac, G3 or higher. USB Manager
version 1.2 or higher.
Package Includes: Jukebox Multimedia, USB 1.1 cable (MiniB-A), AC-DC
adapter, Lithium-Ion batteries (already installed), stereo headphones,
audio/video cinch cable (SCART adapter for European TV), carrying pouch.
MusicMatch™ Jukebox software and Disk on CD plus manual in 5 languages.

here is an independent review (much more informative).
http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/02q3/020809/
igonore this article's 10gb spec. The homepage says 20GB.

<snip>

Jukebox Multimedia really shows what it is made of when its audio and
video outputs are used for watching a film on a TV screen. It is
compatible with PAL and NTSC formats. All you need to do is connect the
supplied S-Video cable to the two elements and hold the "On" button down
for five seconds. The display will then be downloaded to the external
monitor. So the Archos can be used as a portable video player. Taking a
film over to show friends will be child's play. The resolution is not
too good, and the quality is not outstanding, but if a film is encoded
at the right speed, the quality will be equal to that of a video CD,
which is perfectly acceptable and very creditable. Note that when you
switch to the video output, the LCD screen is deactivated. All the menus
and functionalities are then displayed on the TV monitor and there is a
slightly improved battery life. The only drawback with the Jukebox
Multimedia is that, unlike Creative Labs' Jukebox 3, it has no infrared
remote control

</snip>