network card + eeprom

Robert Edwards bob at bobsdell.samba.org
Wed Oct 23 12:06:12 EST 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:12, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> Pietro Abate wrote:
> > Where can I find an eeprom programmer, a bunch of eeproms and
> > networks card in canberra at a good price ?
>
> My usual suggestion is to add the NIC prom to your motherboard
> BIOS prom. This way you do not need any prom chips or any
> programmer. This assumes your mobo is modern enough.
>
> See this for Award bios
> 	http://www.stormpages.com/crazyape/cbrom.html
> Or see this
> 	http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl6178/bios/Bioslogo.html
> for a way to replace your mobo logo with something more personal...

I would advise against putting the boot rom code into the motherboard's BIOS
ROM, unless the code is clever enough to revert to normal boot order in the
absence of the network card. If you have it set up to boot from the network
and the network/server isn't working, it can be hard to bring the machine up
from a CD, hard disk or floppy. With the boot rom on the network card, simply
remove the card and all is well.

As for cards with boot rom sockets - we bought a pile of Trendnet cards
almost 3 years ago for Bunyip (all in use now). We also use Intel EEPRO 100
cards in all our other systems, which have built-in flash and a (DOS) utility
that allows easy programming. But the Intel cards are a lot more expensive
(work well, though).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.