Small PC...

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Fri Oct 18 11:34:41 EST 2002

"Donovan J. Edye" wrote:

> G'Day,
>
> I know this sounds like a motherboard but.... I was wondering if such a
> thing existed "out there" somewhere. I am looking for a PCB that has a
> processor and some memory that I can run linux on. I also need a NIC/LAN
> CAT5 connector and offcourse some form of PSU. Is there any such thing out
> there? If not can anyone point me in the direction where I can get some old
> motherboards (that still have memory and CPU's on them) preferably for free?
>
> TIA
>
> -- Donovan

The new mini-ITX motherboards might be what you are looking for. They are
relatively small (not as small as PC104), include CPU (usually soldered on,
ie. not socketed), a PCI slot, onboard 10/100Mbps Ethernet and a slot for
a DIMM (not to mention the usual USB, PS/2, IDE, floppy etc.). Best of all,
these motherboards are usually less than $250 (including CPU)!

Some suppliers are selling them in cases, with power supplies (no RAM) for
under $300.

I hope to have two at CLUG next week - one a 533MHz unit with no fans and
the other an 800MHz unit with a CPU fan - both running Linux (of course!).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.