backing up linux server to a samba share

Russell Weatherburn russell at oxyoss.net
Thu Oct 17 10:38:24 EST 2002

Hello,

I am contemplating how I want to do backups of my gateway server, and
have come across something that is bugging me.

I want to try to rsync from the linux box to a directory on a Win98 box
that I have shared using Windows networking.  Currently this does work
reasonably well, but the concern I have is that the UID of the files and
directories are not stored on the Windows directory.

My question is, am I able to do this?  Or would I be better off using
something like tar to archive the files on the linux system, and then
move them over to the samba share?

The commands I have been using are:
smbmount //host/share /mnt/mountpoint
rsync -azv /home /mnt/mountpoint/