Java and Linux

Terence Kearns tkearns at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 16 15:19:26 EST 2002

Yup, netbeans is certainly cool. Also, one worth checking out is eclipse
which is realy a development framework more than an environment. I know
that sounds silly, but you'll see what I mean when you check it out. See
this slideshow
http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/presentation/eclipse-slides.html

I'm really getting into using eclipse now. I originally started using it
as an alternative to winCVS (gui CVS client). Another cool plugin is the
attrezzo plugin which provides a GUI browser for the Xindice pure XML
database. Eclipse has too many features/plugins to explain here.

It is an open-source project run/sponsored(?) by IBM. I believe it is
the framework for their [proprietary] websphere studio IDE (?)

Anyway, it's also pure Java and therefore runs on (is ported to) anything.
http://www.eclipse.org

PS. it's a really sexy GUI too :-D
I like it's concepts of perspectives which allows you to save and switch
between layouts easily.