MS SQL -> PostgreSQL: COPY command

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Wed Oct 16 12:36:27 EST 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:16 pm, Terence Kearns wrote:
> Any particular reason why it *has* to be mysql?
> (ie, it must run on windows (and you don't want to use cygwin)...)

Actually, according to the MySQL website
(http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-3.23.html) the Windows version uses the
cygwin runtime DLLs.

Based on my somewhat limited knowledge of Cygwin, this is a very bad thing,
and should be avoided.  Multiple versions of the Cygwin dll can cause random
crashes in all cygwin based programs.  As far as I can tell, all cygwin based
programs should be distributed using the Cygwin setup.exe installer, OR they
should come with a big warning saying that it may be incompatible with
installing any other cygwin based program.  I think the former is preferable.

I would therefore rate installing MySQL on Windows as bad, bad, bad...

Others are free to disagree.

Rasjid.